Saturday, January 3, 2009

Kitchen Taste Test

Here is the recipe for the German Carob Cake we had for Christmas dinner. I got this recipe from a friend, and I don't know what cook book she got it from. If I did, I would provide the appropriate credit. Anyway, I like this recipe, because I'm not much of a carob fan, but I like this cake. I'm still working on it, because it's a little dry to me. I added 1/2 a cup of unsweetened applesauce and it helped. I think I'll add even more next time.

German Carob Cake
3 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2Tbs Ener-G baking powder or 1 Tbs Rumford baking powder
2 cups Sucanat or turbinado sugar ( I just use the Florida crystals)
1tsp salt
6Tbs carob powder
1Tbs powdered coffee substitute (Roma, Postum, Caffix)
2/3 cup unrefined canola oil
2 cups water
2tsp vanilla extract
and I added 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. You may add more to make it a more moist cake.

STEPS:
  • Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another.
  • Combine liquid to dry ingredients and mix until moist and most lumps have disappeared.
  • Pour into two 9-inch cake pans and bake immediately in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.

Walnut-Coconut Frosting
Bring to a boil in a small saucepan:
3/4 cup nut milk or soy milk
1tsp vanilla
1Tbs almond butter
1Tbs cornstarch
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
Stir constantly until thickened. Add:
1 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Cool slightly before spreading on cakes or bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment