Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Carob Pudding

I am a chocolate lover, and it has been hard to switch to carob. My dear hubby has no problem with carob, so I decided to make this pie. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! Even my sister who is quite hesitant about carob really liked it. Now that's saying something! My friend in California gave me this recipe. Her church had just completed a CHIP program, and she got it from their cookbook.

1 3/4 cup soymilk
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup cornstarch
2Tbs roasted carob powder
1Tbs Roma, Pero or Caffix
1/4 tsp salt

  • Combine these in an unheated saucepan
  • Mix to dissolve cornstarch
  • Cook and Stir over medium heat until pudding bubbles and thickens
  • Remove from heat.
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup dairy free malt-sweetened carob chips
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

  • Add the above to the pudding and mix well.
  • Cool slightly
  • Pour into pre-baked crust and chill ( I used a graham cracker crust rather than a regular pastry crust, and it worked well.)

1 comment:

  1. Now this one was good, which is funny because I would never eat a chocolate cream pie and I'm not really a fan of carob!

    ReplyDelete