Friday, November 28, 2008

Kitchen Taste Test

For the past couple of weeks, I've had a taste for pecan pie. I figured I'd make one for Thanksgiving, but it needed to be vegan based on my guests and my dear hubby. I found a number of recipes and settled on this one from Mountain People's Market Co-Op and Kitchen

2 1/2 cups pecans
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup barley malt syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1tbs arrowroot powder
2tbs tahini

I added 1tbs vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a food processor, mix until smooth all ingredients except for the pecans. Then add pecans and process until the nuts are chopped and mixed with the other ingredients. Pour this into a pie shell and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

I didn't add all the pecans because I didn't want them all chopped up. I have a VitaMix and that thing will make them into dust! So I mixed in some chopped ones by hand after I blended everything else together. I'd never used barley malt syrup before, so I was a little leery (I'm a hesitant vegan), but it was pretty good! It isn't as sweet as a regular pecan pie, but that's okay with me. The texture is pretty thick. I think next time, I'll add more pecans to the VitaMix to give the pie a little more bulk.

So in the end, this taste test turned out positive. I give it a thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen a pecan up close and personal... much less tasted one, but all along I've been reading about pecan pie, I somehow thought it was along the line of pumpkin pie...only crunchier. LOL!

    I know... I just put a new meaning to the term 'mistaken identity'
    (Incidentally, I had also imagined that the vegan version involved tofu... uh-oh!)

    ReplyDelete